April 6, 2010

I love you Papa


Nupur was sitting on her bed, wearing her beautiful red lehenga. Her long hairs were decorated with jasmine flowers and hands were full with mehndi. She was wearing her mom’s wedding necklace, which was her favorite from childhood. It’s her wedding tonight. The day every girl dreams about from childhood. Every girl wants to look her best on her wedding and that’s why bride is always late on her wedding. As special day’s special makeup takes long time. But Nupur was ready 30 min before the jaymala* muhurat. This was because of her Papa, as he is very punctual about time. He had already instructed the beautician to get his daughter ready on time. Now when the ladies left the room to get dressed for the wedding and Nupur was alone in the room. She looked outside the door. Everyone was busy in the last minute arrangements. Her mom didn’t even have time to get mehndi on her hands, as she has lots of work to look after. Her younger brother, who uses to fight with her for everything from toys to TV remote, was busy guiding the caterers. And among all, busiest one was her Papa. Who was in his late 50’s and still running around to get things done on time.

Mixed emotions were playing hide and seek in her heart. She felt nostalgic. Her childhood memories were passing in front of her eyes. From tomorrow she will not get her mom’s best raajma chawal, bhai won’t disturb her with his imaginary boring stories and Papa will not come to wake her up in the morning. She loves all of them a lot, but with papa she never expressed it in words. She was completely into the sea of thoughts as a tear rolled down her rosy cheeks. She got up from bed and went to her study table, opened the letter pad and started writing.

Dear Papa,

When you will read this latter, I won’t be here. Tomorrow I won’t come to give you your morning tea with newspaper. Neither I will be there to open the door when you will come back from office.


Papa, you have always been my ideal man and the biggest support throughout. Papa, do you remember my very first day in school. I joined 1st Std in new school. I was very sad, as because of your transfer I left my old school and friends. I was silent all the way to school, and then you told me “Making friends is an art. Only good people can make new friends wherever they go. But they don’t leave there old friends too.” I remembered this line every time we changed city and school. And as a result today I have so many loving friends, and I am in contact with most of them. Whenever I use to fight with bhai for toys you use to make me understand that I am elder to bhai, I should take care of him and not fight with him. On every path of life you thought me something and made me a better human being.

I never talked very openly to you as your strict and disciplined nature use to scare me sometimes, but I admired you the most for the same discipline always. Even if I don’t tell you still you use to understand that I have some problem and you will lend me your help. You never dictated your children. You always gave us the light of knowledge and left the final decision on us, so that we can learn the art of decision making.


Papa, I never hugged you and said how much I love you. But today through this letter I want my dearest Papa to know that I Love you a lot. You are the Best Papa in this world. I love you Papa.

--Your loving daughter Nupur.


As she finished the letter, she heard her friends yelling “Nupur, baraat came. Your hubby is so handsome”. They were all giggling and teasing Nupur when Nupur’s mom came in room to take her to the mandap* for jaymala.

The wedding went very well. Everything took place perfectly and on time. Everyone was very happy. And now it was time for Bidai. The newly wedded couple was taking blessings from all the relatives one by one. When the couple went to Nupur’s papa, he gave them lot of blessings and he slipped a piece of paper in Nupur’s hand. It was a letter for Nupur.


My dear angel,

In past 24 years I have got so much used to see you around me that from tomorrow how I will manage without you I don’t know. You must have thought that papa is always so strict. But I am like this so that my children will learn discipline and good habits in life. Whenever you came to me asking what you should choose in life, I never gave final word, as I wanted you to take your own decision. Whether they are right or wrong, they will teach you the real lessons of life. And today I feel I succeeded in that. You and your brother have always been very good and made me feel proud.

I never hugged you, never kissed you and said you are my best daughter. But I always did it in my heart. From now on you will start a new life for yourself. I am very much sure that you will be happy and keep everyone happy in your new home. Today I want you to know my daughter that your papa loves you a lot. You are the best daughter in the world my darling. You are my real angel. I will miss you a lot beta.

--Your proud Papa.



Next morning Nupur called her papa. Now both of them knew how much love they have for each other. The conversation they had that day was the best till date. There was a new closeness and comfort they found in each other. They have discovered the joy of true father daughter relation.


*Jaymala: Garland changing ceremony in Hindu (north Indian) wedding.

*Mandap: Canopy. Hindus hold Weddings under the Mandap

PS: Never keep your feeling only till yourself. Tell your parents/children how much you love them. And then you will feel a new happiness and closeness in the relation.





18 comments:

Reshma said...

the silent conversations between the father and daughter are true of most families, the story is very reflective of the silent but deep love between fathers and daughters, cos mostly when it comes to mother-daughter relationship almost nothing remains unsaid and usually in a father-daughter case,its like most things remain unsaid...

Anand said...

Today most movies and television programs push the father-daughter relationship off to the side or ignore it altogether. If the father is included in any discussion, he is often portrayed as indifferent, self-centered, distant, insensitive, uncommunicative, and stressed - especially when it comes to interacting with the daughter.

I am happy to read this blog that shows how caring and loving a father can be...Good work :)

arjun said...

Nice one Sweta... very emotional.. this is the first blog of your's that I read.. will always remember this one.. continue the good work miss shooter :)

Sweta said...

Thanks Reshma, Anand & Arjun for your comments :)
@Reshma, m glad that you were able to relate to the story.
@Anand, looks like now days u started watching all saas bahu sops :P
@Arjun,Welcome to my blog.you mixed Miss.T and Shooter :)

Prajish said...

Just stopped by to let you know that you are doing good :)

Sweta said...

Thanks Prajish :)

differently different said...

hey shooter u are famous,,,woww
u know I never expected u can be so emotional...well as per this story is concerned this is true dat we should share our emotions with our parents,,,,,well i think the best way to show how much we love our parents is fulfilling all their demands and never let them feel dat u r doin it by force,,,just make them feel that this was only u liked or wanted and always keep them happy ,,,. this is wat i beleive :)
al the best

Sweta said...

Hey Akash,
Thats a good take too :)

S said...

Loved this post, I hope these words are enough ! :)

Sweta said...

Thanks alot sourav :)

vinod kawar said...

Mast likh rahi hai to re...
keep it up..........

Uday Mishra said...

really good writing ... still in bit of disbelieve that its you yourself is writing these blogs ;) keep it up very nice ...

Subodh Taigor said...

Mast likha hai...

Unknown said...

i dunnno how i had missed this..
nice story.. nice depiction of mutual respect and love...
always the feeling to express the true emotions comes when you know you are gonna miss it soon...
good story ....

Unknown said...

hay too good yaar... just lovely , cute one.... this somewhere relates to my lyf....

Sweta said...

Thanks Vinod, Uday, Aneesh, Deep and Subodh... :)

jay said...

awesome article sweta

Unknown said...

awesome sweta :)

Post a Comment

If you know what a comment is worth to a blogger, do not spend the rest of your life in guilt!

Related Posts with Thumbnails